Monday, December 5, 2011

Unwrapping the Gift-Giving Debate

So Christmas/holiday shopping is pretty much in full swing now. Black Friday was about a couple of weeks ago and as I am typing this post, the television commercials I am watching are filled with Christmas-related jingles and other symbolism referencing the need for us to buy gifts for everyone because it's the holiday season. As we all know, our society has marked the way for buying and giving tons and tons of Christmas gifts to be the normal thing we all take part in. Personally, I remember overly-coveting all of the Christmas gifts I received when I was a kid, but now I think as I've matured, my perception of the gifts has changed. I see the love from the people I receive the gifts from now a lot more. I definitely still appreciate gifts, but I just enjoy them in a new way.

Recently though, I ran into this video when I went back home to Lake Bluff for Thanksgiving break. This video was a part of a sermon that my former youth pastor, Syler Thomas (you can check out his blog here), gave at the church services that weekend at Christ Church Lake Forest.
I want to mention that this video does not necessarily reflect my opinion about the matter. I am just posting it to put it because I think it is interesting and could possibly be a good platform for discussion.

My first reaction to this video was "wow." Whether you buy into everything the video is saying or not, it is eye-opening. You can't deny that. The video brings up a valid argument that we can be doing more good with the money we use to buy gifts for our loved ones for the holidays. The thing is though, would our society, as a majority, ever be willing to place a lesser importance on spending money on gifts (as in, material gifts)?

What do you think? Leave a comment below with your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment